[Clipart] Re:Old Books with illustration

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Sat Apr 28 09:38:48 PDT 2007

This is an attempt at asset management that you see with museums and
libraries.  Like  the Mona Lisa, never covered under copyright.  So
public domain.  But the Louvre owns it and can prevent anyone taking
a professional picture of it.  I recall that the Supreme Court ruled
that reproductions, scans and archival photos are not covered under
copyright.  They ruled that they are not unique creative expressions
and just copies.  This was a big blow to museums as they no longer
had an exclusive claim on the art behind their walls.  Formerly they
would say, "Sure the Mona Lis is PD, but the photo you used is
copyright and it had to come from us because we control who takes
photos here."  But in the US at least that has been voided by SCOTUS.

John Olsen

> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:21:30 -0400
> From: "Russell Ossendryver" <worldlabel at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Old Books with illustrations
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain_image_resources
>
> Seems like a whole lot of source one can start proceeding with, some
> really good ones also :)

>>> Yes that is a debate :)  I would think that one can. I little futher
>>> investigating, they are charging a commercial fee for High
>>> Resolution
>>> image  they will deliver.
>>>
>>> The public domian images scanned are available from many other
>>> sources
>>> who have also scanned the same image. For example:
>>>
>>> http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchresult.cfm?
>>> keyword=Brookshaw%2C+George%2C&submit.x=20&submit.y=13
>>>
>>> http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=GGLJ%
>>> 2CGGLJ%3A2006-47%2CGGLJ%3Aen&q=+George+Brookshaw&btnG=Search+Images

snip