[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] Upload Flagged

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Feb 27 10:52:46 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 11:36 +0100, momo wrote:
> Hi,
> Well, the licence of screenshots and other examples has been a question for
> me from the very beginning (I wanted to discuss this for a long time ago,
> but never got the time to begin the discussion though...).
> I wanted to upload photos of a free touristic guide that we create in our
> design studio (one of our inhouse projects). It uses graphics we created
> specially for it (a set of icons), and that we then released to the PD in
> OCAL. But the overall guide's design is copyrighted, so I can't release
> screenshots or photos of the use of PD cliparts without releasing the
> overall guide's design to the PD too...
> How can we deal with that? Is there a CC license suitable for that?
>
> Thanks!
> Molumen

No, what I'm thinking is that either we only allow public domain or, we
use a CC license that restricts commercial uses, like BY-NC, and/or we
need to add a functionality to cchost that allows for some language like
"By uploading this file, you are allowing Open Clip Art Library to
display this work for promotional purposes."

I would vote in favor of just adding CC BY-NC to the examples upload
form in addition to CC Public Domain, so business can just license their
work under that and get clearance from their clients on this... What do
you all think?

Jon