[Clipart] Searching and download graphics

Thomas Zastrow listen at thomas-zastrow.de
Wed May 16 07:48:17 PDT 2007

Jon Phillips schrieb:
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 11:02 -0600, Alan wrote:
>> I've been thinking.
>> Your server is going to get hammered everytime people do searches on it
>> for particular graphics.   I like the idea of setting up a thumbnail
>> database and a search function to find particular photos, or you could
>> organize by type as well.
>> Would it be possible to create a utility which downloads to a users
>> computer the thumbnail database and other search criteria?  This would
>> allow searches to take place locally.  When a user has decided what they
>> want, the utility will connect to the server and download what they
>> want.  The local utility could be set up to link to a complete download
>> or a multiple set of chosen graphics or a single picture at a time.
>> This will reduce the workload on the server and allow users to browse
>> through the thumbnail photo collection at their leisure on their own
>> computer.
> This is a great idea. Would you like to help realize this?
> Bryce Harrington (on the list) has been working on Inkscape + Open Clip
> Art Library integration, and this is definitely something we have talked
> about.

That reminds me on my old idea of creating a completly offline
PDF-catalogue of OpenClipart or parts of it. Could be realised with
XSL-FO + some hacking, would be not too difficult. PDF-catalogues could
than be organized on the basis of the tags in categories like "People",
"Christmas" or whatever. I would need an offline version of OCAL or a
part of it or knowledge of the data sturcture which is used by OCAL for
doing the programming.

German Forum - DTP under Linux: