[Clipart] getid3 svgz support

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Wed Oct 31 03:46:15 PDT 2007

> > For me an ideal answer would offer up an svg thumbnail first, and if svg
> > wasn't supported, then have the PNG displayed.

Yes, right we could well make use of object fallbacks, I'd prefer that, too.

> > I've tried getting this to work with the html object tag, but
> > unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get the svg file to resize to
> > the width and height I had assigned the object. The image is cropped to
> > that size instead.

The problem is that Inkscape doesn't set a viewBox, and Mozilla ignores the viewBox if fixed height and width values are set (I don't know whether this is right or wrong, Opera ignores the width/height if a viewBox is present).
Therefor, some sort of modification of the SVG files is nessecary. I solved this with JavaScript, which is a non-destructive solution. But we might prefer to modify the SVG files on the server side, which would result in two versions of the same file on the server.

> > The other issue is that svgz is rendered by fewer
> > browsers than svg. None of the the various browsers of the Mozilla
> > family that I have tried will render an svgz file, so the server would
> > have to decompress and send the raw svg file instead.

This would make SVG thumbnails quite large in file size. I'm not sure if it would be possible to use fallback mechanisms here, too. Is there a distict MIME-Type for SVGZ that could be used to make SVGZ capable browser download these smaller files?

Cheers,
Frederik