[Clipart] Question about style guidelines

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jan 7 06:51:31 PST 2008

Frederik Elwert wrote:
> The problem I wanted to face with the style thing is this: Today, I
> needed to create a sort of icon that showed a globe with a book on it.
> So I took the "glossy globe" and now searched for a book. But most books
> on OCAL just didn't fit the glossy look of the globe. So with a style
> tag "glossy", I could just have done a tag search for "book" and
> "glossy" and would have quickly found possible candidates.

The truth is, you'll never find such a "perfect" match, unless the icons
are part of the same set (by the same author or a group of authors using
the same guidelines).

> Or think of map symbols: You are currently dealing with map elements for
> roleplay like maps, if I got it right. But other map symbols might be
> rather in the flat, technical style of official maps. So having a
> possiblility to say "this is a map symbol, but in a particular style"
> could be helpful, I think. Which doesn't imply that every map symbol

Indeed, but you can classify them on the look (isometric, top-down,
shelf, isometric), on the style (glossy, outline, cartoonish) or on the
content (fantasy, sci-fi, , historic, realistic), a lot of system tags.

> would require a style tag, but if an author wants to express that he or
> she created a collection of map symbols that fit together well, it would
> be possible.

If I want to group together a collection, I think the easiest way is to
get a generic name and put that name as one of the tags.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/