[Clipart] George Riddick & Imageline

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 01:56:04 PDT 2008

Lots of stuff turns up for him, like him defending the RIAA in comment
streams on various articles at CNet, Tech crunch, etc.

You'll like this:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pwwi/is_200708/ai_n19487509

It looks to me like he's trying to become the new Darl McBride.  85% of
the clipart online is infringing someone's copyright, but he's not
offering proof of it... just big shocking numbers.

If I've got his stuff on my site, I want it off as bad as he does.  If
it came from OCAL, I want to help OCAL remove it his stuff from their
library too.  If it came from another source, I'll gladly point him at
the other source.

If you do research him, one of his big businesses as of late is domain
name speculation; buying and selling domain names.  But the funny thing
is that in 2000, when he was announcing his big win against XOOM.com, he
used the domain imagelineinc.com, but now it's owned by some Russian and
he's having to use the domain name of imageline2.com.  Furthermore, if
you go there, the site's a single page promising a big new redesign in
July.  It's September.  They can't even update their one page?

I think he's fallen on hard times and is trying the patent troll
approach to wealth building.

You know, it's funny.  I agree with him that people need to be educated
about image copyrights, that just because it's online doesn't mean you
get to use it however you see fit.  You should only assume to be free
those images that are clearly labeled as being free.

There's lots of good free stuff.  But how is someone supposed to
distinguish between real free stuff and copyrighted stuff that is being
intentionally or unintentionally represented as free stuff?

It's like if the gospels got the name of an apostle wrong and God
decided to damn every bible publisher for not building a time machine
and going back in time to discover the error.

One thing I would recommend for OCAL though is a "removals" page on the
Wiki.  When an artwork gets pulled for a copyright or other licensing
challenge (like the recent pulling of that OSS logo), the file name
should be posted to that wiki page so people who are using OCAL art can
sanitize their collections if need be.

- Greg