[Clipart] Ответ: Offtopic Commentary: FSF/MS/Proprietary/FreeSpeech

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Mon Apr 6 23:01:46 PDT 2009

Oleg Koptev wrote:
> Also I don't want to pay to major labels inadecvate huge money. I want
> to support my beloved group directly. How could I do this? The only
> thing - by buying tickets on their concerts or by donation directly to
> them. That touch not only (and not much) mastodon-like groups, but
> firstly young bands with interesting material. Majors don't want art -
> they want money. And promotion by free release of their work (under CC
> for example) might give incredible push to marketing.
> For example last album of Radiohead was freely available from their
> site with proposal to donate as much as you can. They earned ~5
> billions as far as I remember :)

I am sure you are off a few zeroes, the earnings should be in the
*millions* range.

> Similar situation with software. Look onto Canonical for example - I
> want to be such martyr as they are is hehe))

Canonical is a long term investment, they are so far operating at a loss
  with funding from the founder in the hope they will reach the critical
mass to start earning profits. That is growing a business.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/