[Clipart] Offtopic Commentary: FSF/MS/Proprietary/FreeSpeech

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 03:38:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Oleg Koptev <koptev.oleg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello chovynz!
>
> Greatly impressed by your thoughts.
> You right in part of that big companies frequently use power of money
> to play unfairly. But..
> martyrs?? who the hell might force you to eat hamburger in McDonalds
> only, or drink Coca-Cola instead of Pepsi (NB: I prefer pure cold
> water)?
> More and more people come to conception of open source in many spheres
> of life - software, music, art and so on.

I would call what is happening to TPB as martyrdom. It pisses me off no end
that big corporations think they can get away with stuff like that,
(illegality and bullying other hardworking ISP's and little guys), because
they have lots of money.

It's enough to paralyze someone ... regular Joe-Hardworking-Blogs ... fear
and intimidation tactics. But things happen when someone gets tired of being
pushed around. Then when lots of little someones get tired of being pushed
around, they join together to become a big ... irreversible, sustainable,
self-healing justice machine. The world is changing. In some ways those big
controling corporations are dead....but they just don't know it yet. The
dead signals are taking awhile to get the their zombie brains.

That's why I say I hope not too many other people get hurt (martyred), in
the corporations death throws.

> For example - today earning money by selling Audio CD at incredible
> high prices is doomed decision. You mention before TPB (pirate bay) -
> this is one of legion of the torrent sites, where I can found very
> good rip of my likely group in lossless. But instead of that I prefer
> to buy CDs - with polygraphy, booklet and so on. On the other hand -
> often original CDs come in very small edition or/and in very high
> price (+delivery by post high too). So I forced to download that
> albums from torrents for example.

I refuse to download pirated stuff, on my own principles. However, I've been
thinking of using TBP as a delivery method for my own stuff. TBP itself is
not illegal. I'm watching their case quite closely, as the outcome and
precedents set there will effect the entire internet (more than it is
already). If it becomes "illegal" to provide links to copyrightable material
we might as well shut the Internet down. (Which they can't)

*side issue* Just because EA makes things expensive and uses DRM, doesnt
mean I need to download copys of their games (which I so want to do, because
I like the gameplay usually.) But I will never trust them again, and will
probably never willing and knowingly give them my money again. (This is
based on a personal issue between me and EA which I dont need to go into
here.) Get enough of us upset at EA, for example - depending on who's doing
what - you can substitue RIAA, Sony, MPAA, "the Big Four", etcetc the list
goes on,) and not buying their stuff and they may listen. Or not. ...In any
case, I'm throwing my weight and mind behind the Free Software Foundation,
and Open Source. I'm preaching about OCAL and good quality clip-art to
people I come across who might be able to use it - churches, youthgroups,
I'll be teaching my own kids how to find and use "free-as-in-speech" sources
of art, I'm going into the Airforce soon where I'll be preaching there too.
I'm thinking how I can use OGG and other things to achieve some commercial
projects.

The future is bright.

> Also I don't want to pay to major labels inadecvate huge money. I want
> to support my beloved group directly. How could I do this? The only
> thing - by buying tickets on their concerts or by donation directly to
> them. That touch not only (and not much) mastodon-like groups, but
> firstly young bands with interesting material. Majors don't want art -
> they want money. And promotion by free release of their work (under CC
> for example) might give incredible push to marketing.
> For example last album of Radiohead was freely available from their
> site with proposal to donate as much as you can. They earned ~5
> billions as far as I remember :)

Amen!

--
Cheers