[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 61, Issue 12

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:47:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Oleg Koptev <koptev.oleg at gmail.com> wrote:

> heh, our discussion seems to flood out beaches.
> btw — i need more money. 'Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!'))

There's a difference between needing more money and being greedy. Money
makes the world work the way it does. But people's/corporations selfishness
(supposed need/want as opposed to what they actually need) and greed cause
much suffering.

Money is not evil. Using money is not evil. Needing more money is not evil.
Ambition and wanting more money at the expense of other people is evil.
There's a big difference between what people think they need and what they
actually need.

John Olsen wrote:

> And that is your choice and the choice of all of us who contribute here.
> But the key is choice.  No one forces anyone to sell anything; no forces
> anyone to give it away freely.  Sometimes the cheapest way for me to get
> something is to buy it given that most important and scarce thing in my life
> - sometimes it's time, sometimes it is skill.    But there is still a huge
> difference between giving and taking.  Taking things that others are not
> offering freely is stealing, no matter how you justify it.  If you can't
> find what you want for free that does not entitle you to take it.

I think we are saying the same thing, or at least have a similar POV. What
my objection is to some corporations forcing - yes, forcing - little
business owners to shutdown. All because they put a link on their website.
There isn't much choice for them. Admittedly, TPB probably is in the grey
area, and is quite controversial - there are MANY contributing factors and
so lots of different opinions, however I see the same pattern between
Microsoft and others. Or in my country, Telecom. Large corporations that
have monopolies on the market are not a good thing IMHO.

But despite all this, I think there is too much emphasis on the negative
aspects of these kinds of things (it's human nature to look at negative).
I'm preaching the benefits of FSF, and PD clipart, hoping that when people
*SEE* then they will change their habits. The more people we can get behind
Inkscape....or Gimp even...the better over time they will get.

It's seriously making me think of getting into programming or politics.
There is too much corruptness. Someone needs to clean house. (lol I probably
wont act on this, but I'm thinking along those lines.)

Oleg wrote: if I cannot take it in anyway except take it from torrents/copy
from friend??

For me, that depends on what I'm downloading. Copyrighted music, I can do
without or I can go buy from somewhere - not necessarily in CD format. Many
bands now have a website or front that the public can access mp3's or OGG
files. Usually for fairly cheap.

Understand that Torrents themselves are not wrong. That is like saying, "The
Courier service or FedEx is evil/wrong!" No, it's just a delivery method.
It's what your downloading that determines if you should or shouldn't.

I don't judge anyone for downloading pirated stuff. Like John said it's
their choice. But I say what are the consequences of doing so? Many people
say "You could go to jail", but that is fear tactics. I approach it like
this.

While I do not agree that copying music is stealing, I think it is unfair on
the artist who has poured his heart and soul, time (and money oftentimes)
into making this piece of music, for me to take a copy. If I like it, him,
her style of music, or even just to have their collection, I would
financially support the artist. But I strongly oppose the middleman who
takes 73% (arbitrary number) of profit, for the "privilege of handling" the
music.

Unfortunately, lots of people choose to go that way ( giving over their
rights to large corporations that don't actually care about people, but
gaining large amounts of money as quickly and strategically as possible).
Because its a hard industry to achieve success in. But that brings me to my
first point...How do you define success? What do you actually *NEED* as
opposed to *WANT*.

Me? I need a job to pay for my mortgage. I figured out that If I had a
Million dollars I would put it in the bank, and live off the interest for
the rest of my life (that's approx 30k a year of interest). I need a stable
family. I need sex at least once a week. Well....that's a want really. I
dont *NEED* it... I need air, and some food, and some clothes. Most
everything else is a want.

Gosh...I'm introspective today.

--
Cheers