[Clipart] PD license

Oleg Koptev koptev.oleg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 00:06:15 PDT 2009

chovynz, afaik process of submit something as 'PD' is irreversible process.

'*Dedicator intends this dedication to be an overt act of relinquishment in
perpetuity of all present and future rights under copyright law, whether
vested or contingent, in the Work.*'
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

2009/4/12 chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>

> I've been thinking about some things, and something keeps coming back to
> me.
> If I upload something with PD license, there is actually nothing stopping
> people or a business from taking that clipart, copyrighting it then suing me
> for using my own clipart on my own website/book/CD
> cover/tshirt/artwork/publicly available and viewed material.
>
> Now obviously this has some problems that concern me greatly. First, it's
> unfair. Second, ANYTHING in the PD can be copyrighted. Third: While I
> respect a number of people, I don't trust humanity as a whole. There will
> always be selfish greedy people. While I believe in helping/supporting
> people, I'm also aware that there are people who don't give two cents for
> the life of another person. These people have no respect for fairness, or
> what's right, and there is nothing stopping them from taking a clipart, then
> copyrighting or trademarking, which then means that the original PD clipart
> is lost to the public. I think there is a majority of people that would
> respect the PD license and would continue derivitaves in the same way. But,
> all it takes is one person or corporation to do copyright something, and
> that clipart is lost to the public for 50-100 years.
>
> There has been a large effort on the part of CC and some other groups to
> limit this unfairness, however everything on OCAL is in the PD. This
> concerns me a bit.
>
> The goal of OCAL is to provide better and better clipart over time. What is
> going to happen when someone see's clipart they like and copyrights it, then
> askes OCAL to remove it from their Library? What is stopping one person or
> corporation from doing so, to ALL the clipart in the library?
>
> I do not currently see a good solution to this problem, but I think it is a
> future issue that needs thinking about and addressing.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> --
> Cheers
> Chovynz