[Clipart] Permission to Reprint Clipart for Scientific Investigation of Memory

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Jun 18 18:14:11 PDT 2009

Hi Marisa, I live in san francisco (soma) too!

The quick answer is that content to openclipart.org is dedicated to
the public domain, meaning you don't have to ask permission to use it
for any purpose. Also, please note that clker.com takes
openclipart.org content wholesale, so we can't speak for any
alterations that project does to the content from our site,
openclipart.org. Also, I would add if you are concerned about the
legal status of works, please search the content out on
openclipart.org and contact the authors directly.

Cheers!

Jon

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Marisa Rene Knight<mrknight at usfca.edu> wrote:
> Dear Members,
>
> I am contacting you to inquire about requesting permission to reprint
> the attached images of everyday objects in a figure that will appear in
> a professional scientific journal. My research group used several images
> from Clker.com in an investigation of memory and our manuscript has been
> accepted for publication. I checked with the editorial staff at the
> journal after reading through the disclaimer and the status of the
> images being, to the best of the site operator's knowledge, public
> domain. Nevertheless, the editorial staff indicated that I will need to
> obtain permission to reprint the images from their original creators,
> even if the figures are stated to be in the public domain. Is it
> possible to obtain permission from this site or from the original
> contributers of the images I would like to use? I have attached the 9
> images we are hoping to reprint (guitars (2), keys, apples (2), socks,
> airplane, cassettes(2). I appreciate your time and consideration of my
> request.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Marisa
>
> Marisa Knight, M.S., Ph.D.