[Clipart] Requesting a list of automatic jobs

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 01:05:02 PDT 2010

Hello there!

Bassel would problaby be the one to ask since Aiki is his framework, but
I'm making this an open question since there may be other questions that
you want to ask or answer towards making OCAL better.

*My overall question:*
What is the list of jobs that can be run automatically behind the
scenes? I'd like to know, so that I am not wasting time doing something
that can be done easily with scripts, or something that is scheduled for
a later date to be run automatically.

*My specific questions:*
Doing a search for underscore "_"
(http://www.openclipart.org/search/?query=_) revealed a number of
clipart that need "cleanup" for aesthetic purposes. Namely clipart with
long_titles_because_of_underscores_that_break_the_site_CSS_and_design_intent,
and clipart from the old OCAL database with tags such as b_w. Now, Jon
replied that it's a job of the librarians to remove the underscores in
titles, but, combined with tags; that's a mammoth task, and as a
librarian, I'd like to know if these jobs can be done in an easier way.

*Task #1*: Long titles. Can these underscores in titles be searched for
and replaced via a background script to replace the _ in the display
title to an ASCII/hex space character?

*Task #2* : underscores in tags. Same as above.

*Task #2b* : Now that spaces are acceptable for tags, can we please
change tags such as "b_w" to "black and white" or "black & white"? Self
explanatory names seem better in the long run than shortened
abbreviations that might not make sense. (I suggest that this would more
affect those who use the site but choose not to register.)

*Task #2c* : Can we also search the tags for "," and add a space
character to those results? e.g. "country,flag" becomes "country, flag"?
I think this was related to the old way of doing OCAL tags. I imagine
this would need an excluder for those tags which are already ",SPACE" to
avoid the error of ",SPACESPACE"? Having the space after the comma would
clean up a whole bunch of clipart that breaks the css site design. e.g.
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/154

*Task #2d* : Can we please search for and remove any tags on svg files
that have "public_domain, svg, media, image"? They are and always have
been pointless on OCAL. The only point from old OCAL was that it HAD to
be that way because of the cchost framework. That's no longer the case,
so I'm of the strong opinion that these tags can be removed without
detriment to the OCAL community. The way I see it,/ removal/ = cleaner
tag lists, more efficient searches, faster specifics for tagging, less
words for confusion. /nonremoval /= compliance to old traditions that no
longer apply, adherence to more confusion to the end user, broken
records spinning broken old songs, deadweight on backend system, and
sheer laziness. (How was that for some manipulation eh!!? ;) ) For
"examples" and "how I did it's" appropriate tags can be added to those
entries only. For jpgs or images those tags can be added. For a svg,
which is the main reason for OCAL yes?, there is no point having a "svg"
tag. Neither is the "media" tag appropriate since that usually describes
moving pictures (current/future svg?) or movies or audio. Superfluous
tags just waste time. Let's update them and remove them!

Are these things able to be done automatically? If not, why not, and
what can we do about these to make this job easier? In this day and age
I don't see why things should be done manually if they can be done
automatically with good clean code, with human oversight.

If you think I'm wrong on any of the points or ideas, or if there are
better ways, I'd like a discussion on it! Thoughts?

Cheers
Chovynz