[Clipart] Piracy Impact Estimates Debunked

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 13:05:30 PDT 2010

Thanks Greg. Interesting read. Bit of a long blurb below. If you want to
get to the crutch of what I'm saying then skip the my2cents section.

<my2cents>
The figures are too ridiculus, and it's a hyped up fear-mongered
"brainwashing" money generating scheme, started from an early age,
treating consumers as if they were doing something wrong from the outset
(which in the end only encourages the behaviour), fueled by "we need
more precioussssssss profitssssssssss" and greed (on both sides of the
supply and demand.) It's kinda funny, but I think most people actually
know this somewhere inside of them. That's why there such resistance to
"anti-piracy" measures, because in some situations, the "piracy" is
actually a good thing. Many good things have been hit by the flying poo
"piracy hype", and so became tainted with the "piracy" hype. P2P for
example has a "bad reputation" because of the fallout from "piracy"
using that protocol. But in fact, it's like money. P2P is not "evil" nor
is using it wrong!!! It's just a way of transport, a tool. It's a
fantastic way of moving large files! It's what you do with it that
counts, it's what your motivation is for using tool that counts.

See we are playing with morals and ethics, and unless there is a
plumbline for people to measure up to, those morals and ethics change
according to each person. Society is made up of lots of people, many
with a wishy-washy moral code, so society becomes who those people are.
It's just teh way it works. Get enough people on a particular moral
side, soon a forbidden practise becomes common (or vice versa), then
changing society's morals becomes an easy task.

How do you do that? Easy. Hype-up, use peoples greed against them,
create demand, make them want something they "cannot have - unless you
do this".

We know this :
"You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't
steal a computer. Downloading pirated software is stealing. Don't do it!"
This makes many assumptions and false presumptions. Actually, many
people DO do those things. It's also incorrect to say downloading is
stealing.

I mean: think about the following statement. Actually LOOK at and READ
it critically.
" lost $3 billion in sales due to counterfeit etc"
How can you lose something you never had?

This ladies and gentlemen is the hype. You can't lose a sale that you
never had. You can lose many customers by assuming everyone who walks in
the door is a "pirate" and treating them with suspicion and hostility,
however the decision at the end of teh day, comes down to the consumer
answering "Do I want to buy this or not?" The thing is that many "sales"
come from a consumer habit, or coerced decision, or unthinking materialism.

We society have become very good at letting other people make our
decisions for us.
</my2cents>

One of teh reasons why I like OCAL is that it's a society based on
trust. Obviously it's foolish to absolutly trust any one person
completly, however, there is something very precious about the potential
that OCAL has. THAT is why I do librarian work. THAT is why I strive to
get copyrighted things out. Not because of fear of DMCA or sue-age or
"dislike of piracy" , but because this OCAL is a model for the way
forward, with MANY things, not just clipart.

Imagine what society would be like if we shared our food with each
other, the same way we share these arts?

Cheers
Chovynz