[Clipart] 30K! and ready to launch!!!

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Apr 25 19:40:47 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM, chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> wrote:
> My replies in the specific sections below.
>
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I should be held to the same standard as everyone else.
>
> In that case, please consider temporarily removing all of your recent
> uploads (since we don't yet have a replace function), fixing the way they
> are encoded/uploaded, then re-upload them. They currently do not work in
> Firefox and Chrome. It gets a whole lot of svg code but no picture. In this
> form it is broken.

Sorry, not removing them. Only where they violate our guidelines will
I remove mine. The SVG files are fine. The problem is in the browser.
I wouldn't have uploaded if they were broken.

> I would also suggest that some renaming needs to be done. A whole bunch of
> numbers isn't useful for other people to find high quality clipart.
> We also request that you tag them with appropriate tags and descriptions
> describing what is in the images, so that other people will be able to find
> them when they search for those tags.

Yep, I will do it little by little...

> Please also double-check them before uploading since some of them seem to be
> corrupted.e.g. http://www.openclipart.org/detail/56587

No, that is in the original. I like that one, actually. Getting it
printed right now in China for a wall. Its dolores park in SF!
Fabulous!

>> But, I would say, we shouldn't just delete images unless they violate
>> our guidelines, which my submissions don't.
>
> I would consider them not working in two major browsers, having
> non-descriptive names, and some image corruption as not meeting the spirit
> of the website and guidelines. ;)
>
> http://openclipart.org/wiki/FAQ#Who_is_this_clipart_being_provided_for.2C_and_why.3F
> http://openclipart.org/wiki/FAQ#What_are_the_most_important_long_term_goals_of_the_project.3F
> http://openclipart.org/wiki/Project_Principles#What_is_the_bigger_picture_of_this_project.3F

Whoa, these are old. Good thing to freshen up.

>> Honestly, there are loads of vectorized images in major clipart
>> collections. If any of my images violate the guidelines then they
>> should be removed, but at the core of OCAL is to not do value
>> judgments, but tag, and rate clipart.
>>
>> My images are part of a vectorized collection I was interested in doing.
>>
>> Jon
>
> Awesome! Keep uploading! Reckon you can meet 40K by the beginning of May?

Ha. I'm done for now. I was mostly investigating ways to make a web
crawler go over large collections of bitmap/scanned PD content and
investigating styles like Banksy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy

>> on another point, would this one:
>> http://www.openclipart.org/detail/56155 count as being a
>> copyrighted/trademarked logo.

Yes, you are right. Removing it. Although, there is a case that one
might not have to remove that image under fair use laws, but I won't
push that right now.

Jon

>> tomh
>
> Yup.