[Clipart] Community Building

Gerald Ganson Gerald.Ganson at rdc.ab.ca
Mon Apr 26 09:35:18 PDT 2010

A comment on building the community.

Rather than (or in addition to) a “requests” page, I feel that a page where artists (non vector) could upload scans of illustrations, etc, and have OCAL vector artists use these illustrations as jump off points for creating vectors could build community. Bitmapped images uploaded would of course NOT become part of the collection, but vectors created from them would be.  Perhaps leveraging existing locations would be good, like start a collection on wiki-commons or someplace, linked to OCAL – and specifically for OCAL contributions by non-vector artists. Credit to original artists (for the vector remixes) given etc.

If the page started with a bit of description as to what kind of art can be vectorized effectively, guidelines, etc. I think it could be useful.

In this way people could contribute to OCAL who may be great artists, but not vector artists.

Here is an example so to speak. This was uploaded to illustrate how pencil sketches can become vector art.

http://jazzmanian.deviantart.com/art/The-Buckets-79991458

Gerald_G