[Clipart] stuff done today

Oleg Koptev koptev.oleg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 11:23:14 PDT 2010

2010/8/5 Nathan Eady <eady at galion.lib.oh.us>

> "J. Alves" <alvesjmp at gmail.com> writes:
> <snip>
>
> A couple of more serious points now...
> >
> > - what is supposed to go in the "avatar" text box, a URL? Should it
> > show a file open control?
>
> Assuming we don't mind allowing users to upload any random avatar they
> want, a file open control seems like the most obvious choice here.
> There should probably be a file size limit and/or a limit on the
> dimensions.
>
> Another option would be to provide a collection of avatars and let
> users select one of them.  I actually did this at one point (for a
> public library discussion forum, which is no longer really in use),
> using mostly images from the OCAL for the avatars.  The interface was
> just basically "Here are rows and columns of avatars, click the one
> you want."  Let's see, I think the directory full of avatars is still
> sitting here:
> http://cgi.galion.lib.oh.us/forum/userimg/
> (There are two or three of those that are not public domain; it
> should be obvious which ones.)
>
> However, I think we have been allowing the upload of arbitrary profile
> images in the past, and to my knowledge it has not been a major
> problem.  (If it becomes one, we could always give librarians the
> ability to override it for a certain user.)

User avatars are cool. It add more 'personality' in personal info. IMO.

>  > - the sex could be one of three (or four?) choices: male, female,
> > prefer not to say, other (?)
>
> The default should be just blank or "--" (or it could be spelled out
> "not specified", whatever), and then the only other options really
> needed are male and female, IMO.  Anyone who feels neither of those
> applies can just leave it blank/unspecified and explain the details on
> their homepage.

Agreed. I didn't tell enough. Of course by default sex should be empty :)

> >> It doesn't work as it does. It doesn't save all info.
>
> That was my experience as well.  It appears to successfully save the
> change into the page, but if you load the page again it's back to the
> former value.

Yes. Exactly. Would be great if it will save infos permanently :)

> >> Country could have standardized droplist, as we have on every
> >> website :)
>
> I don't know, that's always kind of annoyed me on most sites: the list
> is so long, it's *significantly* faster to just type the name of your
> country in a text box.  (Yes, I know the old "type the first letter to
> autoscroll to that part of the list" trick, but you still have to
> scroll through half the countries that start with U.)  Some sites
> attempt to fix this by putting certain popular countries at the top of
> the list, but that has its own raft of problems.

The old trick is just type initial letters (not only first one, but several)
and when it will guess your country (it always will, instead you live in
Wonderland) - you finish. For most countries 2 or 3 letter is enough.

> >> Sex have only two possible values (forgive me, androgynes!), so it
> >> need to have only two radiobutton, instead of textbox.
>
> There probably does need to be the option to not specify it, so a
> dropdown box seems reasonable IMO.

dropdown list or radiobuttons - not real issue.

Also - when we really need text boxes (Job, Home page, whatever field really
needs text box) - please make the phrase 'Click here to edit' disappear when
I click there to edit. Erasing of such words always bore.

--
*C уважением, Коптев Олег
With respect, Oleg Koptev*