[Clipart] Why am I doing this?

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Thu Aug 5 23:01:36 PDT 2010

On 08/06/2010 12:47 AM, chovynz wrote:

> I teach because I want to learn. I am learning so I can teach. I am
> "Doing" background OCAL, because I want to learn some fantastic things
> from Jon Phillips and some of you other fantastic people (Like Nicu
> Buculei, and Gerald. G and J.Alves, Oleg, Johnny Olsen + others.)

This is a great place to learn and I learned myself a lot by having the
change to look inside the SVG sources and study how were they made - and
I want to make here a special mention to AndyFitz (he contributed a lot
of images in the early days). And from studying I was able do develop my
own original style.
Also, Bryce, our leader in the early days, from whom I learned a lot
about community work, openess and keeping your freedom ideals intact.

I used a vector graphic application (Sodipodi, this is how Inkscape was
called back then) for the first time only a few months before OCAL was
founded and I started to contribute.

> I learned that I can walk away, have a rest, and let other people do
> some work, and the world doesn't end.
> I also learned that, hey, I can actually code - despite all my self-talk
> of "not able, hate it, can't do it, won't do it".
> I've learned that, it's ok to be me. One day, I'll either shed this
> "chovynz" pseudonym or build on it and let you guys see the real me.

Sometime is healthy to step back for a while and look at the bigger picture.

> Find someone who is close to you and spend some time with them, doing
> nothing - together. See how long you can actually spend with them before
> you get fidgety. Might it be time to re-prioritise them back into your
> life?

Each of us has a life and his own priorities, we should be friends and
support each other in following our hearts.

Myself, I feel sometime ashamed deep inside to not finding the time to
contribute to the project as I used to.