[Clipart] Fall? a little voice from the southern hemisphere...

Leonardo Cunha laobcunha at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 07:44:33 PDT 2010

2010/8/13 Donna Benjamin <donna at kattekrab.net>

> Hey folks,
>
> The Seasonal themes are great - except for one thing.  They make some of
> us in the southern hemisphere feel like we don't exist.

Yes, sometimes, unfortunately. I live in the southern hemisphere too.

> As far as I know, only the North Americans call Autumn 'Fall' - other
> English speakers call it Autumn - not to mention other languages have
> entirely different words...

OCAL default language is English, so although I would like to have everthing
in Portuguese too, it is not something very easy to do. But if "autumn" is
more commom than "fall", maybe we should have opted for "autumn".

> Where I am, it's currently winter, and we're about to go into Spring.
>
> I think the call for theme'd clipart is fantastic! Really I do, but I
> wonder if we could do it in a less North American centric way?
>
> August art... reflect your local seasonal climate, local events and
> holidays

So it would be a month package, not a theme package, but it would include
whatever people upload. There are hundreds of different events happening
every month all over the world. I think we should be more specific. Since we
have always two seasons at the same time in the world, we could make
summer_and_winter and spring_and_autumn packages. That would apply to
everyone, not only people from one hemisphere.

> - Is there a saint day? a public holiday? an election? a news
> story? A national holiday? A city memorial day? Is the sky cloudy or
> blue? rain or shine? Hot, Dry, Humid or Snowing? Submit something that
> represents August in your part of the world... What's different? What's
> new?

I think we could have this kind of package, but it would a completely
different idea, non subject oriented, more time oriented.

I will add them to http://www.openclipart.org/wiki/Roadmap, thanks.

> Just a minor pet peeve of mine - so thought I should speak up! :)
>
> - D.
>
> --
> Donna Benjamin - kattekrab.net
>
> Inkscape: Open Source Scalable Vector Graphics
> http://www.inkscape.org

Thanks a lot!

What do you all think about the "dual season" idea for season packages?

Best regards,
Leonardo Cunha