[Clipart] Problem uploading a certain file

J. Alves alvesjmp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 14:54:08 PST 2010

OK, further developments in my saga to upload that file.

I tried reducing the amount of repetitions of benzene rings in the
drawing, and it would keep rejecting the file -- even when I got down
to ONE ring. Which is silly, since I uploaded the one ring before as
another clip art called benzene and had no problem (I did notice
though that the file size in bytes was much larger than it should have
been, so something stays in the file that is breaking the submission.

I then decided to do the inverse path: start from the one benzene ring
file and slowly build up the graphene drawing, submitting each one on
turn (and always saving as "plain SVG" as Nicu suggested). The
submission would take longer and longer each time -- I started with
one ring, then two, then four, 5, two "rows" of rings, four rows, 6
rows. When I added the 7th, it failed as previously described (blank
page after the submission). I would think that the site only gets the
file and stores, but apparently it might not be the case since it's
taking so much longer to process the file as it gets a little larger.
What is OCAL doing to the file, if anything, and why? I don't think
it's a particularly good idea, unless someone enlightens me to the
reason behind it.

So I capitulated and decided to just cut from 9 to 6 rows of rings,
and updated the PNG version accordingly. Have wasted way too much time
on this one drawing's problem.

But a suspicion arose in my mind: could it be a size problem? (e.g.
after you get an image larger than X by Y, the submission fails)

Cheers