[Clipart] Copyright clipart

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Fri Jun 11 02:22:30 PDT 2010

On 06/11/2010 11:24 AM, chovynz wrote:
> I have no particular leaning towards either way, I just want to know
> what the policy is and "enforce" that.
> I prefer simplicity. So I'll side with Nicu on this.
> I do, however, find the licence differences between FSF and OCAL
> ridiculous. For real freedom I guess that's the compromise, and yet
> somehow I feel we are missing out on something.

The difference is not ridiculous, it is an important one: the FSF
licenses have a "viral" cause, preserving freedom, while the PD
dedication gives up event that.
For all my non-clipart work I also prefer to add a viral clause, be it
under the form of GPL or CC-BY-SA.

> At the moment, the score is 4 for PD only, 1 for PD+others.

The original thinking when we went with PD was that clipart images are
building blocks and to be useful they must be totally unrestricted, no
attribution required, no viral freedom preservation, no nothing.