[Clipart] Librarians be aware of http://www.freeclipartnow.com

Jarod Russel JarodR at gmx.de
Wed Jun 16 02:10:24 PDT 2010

Fact is that if the majority or at least Jon decides not to allow images
that appear on freeclipartnow, there is a lot of cliparts to hide. If
you look through there archives you will find quite a few cliparts that
are already a long time on OCAL. Just the other day I used a blue bass
guitar I found on OCAL for a design and freeclipartnow has the same
image in their collection.

PD clearly states that there are no rights whatsoever. Meaning also no
rights to make restrictions. Otherwise those images are not PD. It is
most likely that the owner has no clue and probably has not even made
any of the images himself, rather than collecting pd works. Therefore he
has no right to make restrictions, why should anybody, whether it is me
or OCAL care about those restrictions then?

I see things said like "safe PD". There is no such thing. There are no
different ways of public domain. Nothing should stop members of OCAL to
upload these cliparts if they are true pd, and not like we have seen it
here often, uploaded without understanding what pd is. For OCAL the main
point should be to figure out whether the clipart is PD or not.
Everything else like where it comes from or which sites the clipart can
be found on does not matter.

Something said on the end. If I seem to be rude or offending to anyone,
be assured I do not mean to. I try to make myself clear as good as
possible in english, but sometimes its hard to find the right words or
ways to say something. So don't take my words to hard on yourself.