[Clipart] Fwd: Re: Librarians be aware of http://www.freeclipartnow.com

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Mon Jun 21 12:54:07 PDT 2010

chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> writes:

> OCAL link http://www.openclipart.org/detail/17921
> freeclipartnow version
> http://www.freeclipartnow.com/music/instruments/guitars/electric-guitar.jpg.html

It is entirely possible that freeclipartnow got the image *from* OCAL.
If so, then we don't have a problem.  It's also possible that they got
it from the author, or from some other site that got it from us or
from the author.  In which case, we still don't have a problem.

Note that the date on that OCAL page probably does not reflect the
first time the image was uploaded to OCAL.  (It's an image we already
had before the move to cchost.)  I just verified that the blue bass
guitar was included in the 0.18 release; not sure whether it was in an
earlier release than that, but the 0.18 release was announced in 2005
October according to my email archives; that's a good couple of years
before the date freeclipartnow claims to have put up the image on
their site.  I would say they probably got it from us, either directly
or indirectly, or from some other place where the author also put it.

> So you can't simply take an uploaded clipart to OCAL and say "hey
> thats on freeclipartnow I hide it".

Right, only images that we believe came *from* freeclipartnow should
be hidden, not everything that they also have a copy of.  They are
allowed to copy our clipart.  It's in the public domain, after all.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library