[Clipart] Public domain now screwed

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:21:23 PDT 2010

For one thing, this only applies to foreign works that were in the
Public Domain because their foreign copyrights were treated
differently than U.S. copyrighted works. Popeye doesn't go back into
Copyright protection. OTOH, you either have to draw Popeye yourself or
take an image from a PD work, because newer copyrighted illustrations
and cartoons are still protected individually, even if the character
has fallen out of copyright.

Where it's problematic is not in new uses where one tries to determine
the PD status of a work, but in prior uses that were previously legal.
If you don't have detailed records on the origin and provenance of
every PD work you've ever used, anything containing PD stuff could be
a potential landmine.

- Greg