[Clipart] Librarians be aware of http://www.freeclipartnow.com

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Wed Jun 23 10:28:22 PDT 2010

chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> writes:

> What I was referring to in my case down below, was that since the
> images themselves are public domain, and since their site uses jpgs
> I don't see the copyright issue in action , if we redraw the public
> domain clipart as svg's.

Ah, I think I see what you're driving at now.

If the images are actually public domain, then you can do as you like.
Redraw them, trace them, photocopy them, print and scan, distribute
bitwise-identical copies, whatever you want.

But like I said, I don't think it's safe to assume that the images are
public domain based on the fact that a particular website says they
are, if that website clearly doesn't understand what public domain
means and includes images that are obviously not public domain.

> Or are you saying that Public Domain works can't be redrawn either,

No, no, if the original image that you're starting from is
legitimately in the public domain, then I believe you're in
the clear.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library