[Clipart] made a first start on an OCAL Admin manual

Leonardo Cunha laobcunha at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 22:12:18 PDT 2010

I like your ideas, chovynz!

I have a few:

1) Actually I don't know if we have this information somewhere on the
website, but I think it would be nice to have a page with statistics like
"new images per month". It doesn't have to be a graph bar; a table would be
great for a start.

2) A better user page. I see that a lot of users have an avatar, but I can't
find how to put one myself. Maybe it was possible in the old website, I
don't know. Maybe we could have a more complete profile, where we could fill
information about ourselves, if we want to. Things like email, name, etc.,
maybe a text area field where we can write whatever we want about us.

3) I have already said this, but anyway... I think the main page should say
something about (or have a link to) the month theme, to gather more
contributors.

4) I don´t know if this is already being done, but I think packages like "*Open
Clip Art Library 2.0*" should be updated from time to time, to exclude the
clipart that are being hidden/deleted due to copyright infrigement and
things like that. This would prevent people from downloading old non Public
Domain clipart from us.

What do you all think?

Best regards,
Leonardo Cunha

2010/6/23 chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>

> To get the ball rolling, I would like to see something like this come into
> place.
>
> 1.) For any clipart that is tagged with "pd_issue", "copyright_violation",
> "potential copyright violation" a box would appear on the clipart detail.
> I'm imagining two scenarios with these tags. Either the warning box appears
> in a fixed position relative to the screen, so that you cannot escape but to
> notice it. I.e. it stayes on screen no matter where you scroll.
>
> The second scenario is to fit the box inside the website page container (as
> you see in the picture.) This would stay relative to the page itself, so it
> would be possible to scroll down and not see the warning box. However we can
> then place a "NonPD" Icon next to the download button, so that it is clearly
> seen when you come to download.
>
> A smaller version of the NonPD icon could appear on the gallery list, if
> the clipart in question has one of the above tags.
>
> What do you guys think about this?
>
> 2.) For clipart that is hidden, I think some visual indicator on the
> clipart detail page is needed. And we could re-use the old OCAL eye on the
> gallery page too. Ideally hidden cliparts would not be visible to anonymous
> users - even if you have the direct link. They should only be visible to
> Librarians and the Uploader.
>
> In case the attachments are stripped, you can see the proposal's here.
> http://www.openclipart.org/wiki/Development_for_copyright_violation
>
> Looking forward to your guys feedback.
> Chovynz
>

> On 24/06/2010 11:10 a.m., Jon Phillips wrote:
>
>> This is really great Chovynz! I super suppor this move and it is
>> really up to us to make the site better!
>>
>> I want to underline that making mockups of hopeful functionality is
>> very helpful. Also, filing bugs and feature requests are great!
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM, chovynz<chovynz at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> @ Jon&  Bassel: I decided it would be better to let everyone know now, so
>>> that we have more eyes on the project, and more awareness of what's
>>> happening and what needs doing.
>>>
>>> To everyone ; welcome to the first steps in enabling anyone to be able to
>>> join in on being a Librarian, to make methods of clipart management that
>>> work or are easily changeable, and easily understandable instructions for
>>> all users to accomplish various tasks.
>>>
>>> Right now, what I'm doing is looking at how OCAL is created using the
>>> AIKI
>>> framework. What is AIKI you ask? It makes the Library into a database
>>> driven
>>> "moddable" website, using PHP, MySql(?) and a database. I admit, I don't
>>> know much SQL language, but I'm finding the commands and things that are
>>> making up the site very interesting. Please understand that I am not a
>>> programmer, I'm an artist, a visual person, but I have seen what AIKI can
>>> do, and I'm very excited by it.
>>>
>>> What I need from you guys is Use Cases for how you use OCAL.
>>> What have we got? What do we need?
>>> What should the completed website look like?
>>>
>>> As an end user, how do you use OCAL? Please write and tell us your
>>> methods.
>>> As an Artist, what do you need for uploading your work? Or
>>> self-promotion?
>>> How do you manage your own clipart on OCAL?
>>> As a Librarian how do you go about your work? What tools do you need?
>>> Even
>>> if they are obvious tools, break it down for us. I already have a fair