[Clipart] made a first start on an OCAL Admin manual

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Jun 23 23:22:19 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Leonardo Cunha <laobcunha at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like your ideas, chovynz!
> I have a few:
> 1) Actually I don't know if we have this information somewhere on the
> website, but I think it would be nice to have a page with statistics like
> "new images per month". It doesn't have to be a graph bar; a table would be
> great for a start.

Cool...we had a stats page, but I think best to integrate the stats
into the site directly, right? That is like a whole project to
stat-isize the site. Those graphs currently are just placeholders, but
could be real in the sidebars. I would add this as a blueprint, like
More Metrics and list out places to add metrics.

> 2) A better user page. I see that a lot of users have an avatar, but I can't
> find how to put one myself. Maybe it was possible in the old website, I
> don't know. Maybe we could have a more complete profile, where we could fill
> information about ourselves, if we want to. Things like email, name, etc.,
> maybe a text area field where we can write whatever we want about us.

This should be a really high priority.

> 3) I have already said this, but anyway... I think the main page should say
> something about (or have a link to) the month theme, to gather more
> contributors.

Yes, totally. We need a box of the news, and the monthly priority.
Like a prioritybox saying hello, we are community, we are doing this
now. help us! Totally great idea...Brad was working on this but then
it turned into the "We are doing a contest right now...mabye that bar,
can just turn into that? We aren't quite to that size to have multiple
foci, but what would this look like all? mockups?

> 4) I don´t know if this is already being done, but I think packages like
> "Open Clip Art Library 2.0" should be updated from time to time, to exclude
> the clipart that are being hidden/deleted due to copyright infrigement and
> things like that. This would prevent people from downloading old non Public
> Domain clipart from us.
> What do you all think?

That is interesting idea. And right, there are totally bad cliparts in
there. What if we remove the old packages at a certain date? We are
now doing these monthly themes, and people can get the cliparts via
our website?

Although, those downloads are huuuuuggeeeee traffic! Lots of people
like to download and have them on their disks.

> Best regards,
> Leonardo Cunha

Awesome!

Jon