[Clipart] Web standards with OCAL (+Aiki / OCAL development)

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sat Jun 26 22:36:37 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM, chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well it's good to know we can do it right, however I think you misunderstood
> what I was saying. :)
> I wasn't blaming anyone, or rather I wasn't intending to. What I'm looking
> for is a common thread and ways forward on how to use aiki.

of course :)

> @ Bassel : For CSS, how do we apply global css? I can't figure out why:
> 1) aiki is collating all the style sheets into one output based on widget (I
> mean , I can and understand why it is doing that, but can we do css a
> different way? currently it breaks the validator since there is no tag
> called "widget" and the stylesheet reference is invalid.)
> 2) The *about *page has css, then *participate *has its own exact same css,
> then the other pages and div's have inline css, rather than a global css.
> e.g. <p> is defined about 10 times in the collated amount, instead of one
> parent <p> with a good style applied once.
> 3) why are there two stylesheets in the meta?
> 4) How can me, a "normal non-programmer" add global css to the site? Nothing
> I tried worked with *style.css *or with *global_css*. I input css code both
> into the content of the widget, and into the style of the widget, at
> different times. I was expecting the change to happen straight away. Is
> there a delay in CSS and database updating or is it instant? If it is
> instant, then something might be either broken, or I don't yet know how to
> do this seemingly easy task. (I should mention local-inline- css is fine and
> works ...sort'of.)

Cool...well, think about if you load one big global css and its for
pieces not used on some pages. So, there is some need for a global on
every page to give the general look and feel, but aneed to have custom
css for pages that need only that code. Less is more with CSS. Smaller
file size, means pages load faster.

> Again, I'm not blaming, just wondering how to go about "fixing" the things
> I've found, since it's not as easy as I first thought. I was surprised to
> see how much spaghetti code there is, that's where my comments below came
> from.

Sure, understand. There are some basic concepts to grok with aiki, and
once you do, it becomes vastly easier...

> Looking forward to an even faster OCAL. :)
> Chovynz

Totally...hang in #aiki and #openclipart and hammer us with questions :)

jon

> On 27/06/2010 5:02 p.m., Jon Phillips wrote:
>>
>> Well, the only bad html is the html humans write. So,right, using a
>> validation checker and then fixing the problems it points out is the
>> right approach.
>>
>> Aiki doesn't force the html on the user, its up to the user.
>>
>> So, all these bugs can be fixed inside of aiki.
>>
>> Yes, simple is so much better and why we switched to aiki.
>>
>> Go ahead and file a bug about html validation and css validation, but
>> even better is figuring out where to fix the bugs in aiki
>> installation, and fixing them there...
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM, chovynz<chovynz at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Are you guys interested in following web standards for OCAL?
>>> Check these out. Some stuff I came across while trying to find out what
>>> AIKI
>>> was doing to OCAL.
>>>

>>> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openclipart.org%2Fbrowse&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=HTML5&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.781
>>>
>>> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openclipart.org%2Fpackages&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.781
>>>
>>> I suggest we start using aiki with the way web standards are intended.
>>> CSS into a collective area, instead of all spread out in their individual
>>> pages.
>>> Any Librarian should be able to able modify the site as needed, just by
>>> adding the basics of
>>> <h2>header for below</h2>
>>>
>>> The way OCAL is currently written is horrible for webstandards and will
>>> inhibit other people becoming Librarians, since they have to know HTML,
>>> and
>>> CSS, and PHP, AND the AIKI framework usage, to be able to modify the
>>> site.
>>>
>>> Simple is best. Can we make OCAL simple to modify?
>>> With CSS and HTML and now with the capabilty of php + Aiki, there's no
>>> excuse for sloppy web-coding. Especially now that we are not linked to
>>> CCHost in any way.
>>>
>>> If there are gaps in my knowledge about why this isn't possible with php
>>> or
>>> aiki please let me know. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Chovynz