[Clipart] RSS feeds + images inside

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Jun 29 11:03:38 PDT 2010

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> We should use PNG,

I agree, because PNG supports transparency, and because it gets better
compression than lossless JPEG.  Unless there's a some good reason to
I don't know about (e.g., the latest version of a major browser or
popular feed reader supports JPEG only or something), PNG is the
better way to go, IMO.

> because JPG have some patent woes.

Still?  Holy cow.  Not for much longer, I'll bet.  I don't know the
exact date when JPEG was first introduced, but I'm pretty sure it was
already in widespread use (not as common as GIF, but the next closest
thing) when I first got internet access when I arrived at college
(think: Gopher, FTP, Telnet, TN3270, and Usenet; we didn't get NCSA
Mosaic until a few months later, and off-campus email a year or more
after that), so the twentieth anniversary has got to be coming up Soon.

That aside, however, PNG is a better format anyhow.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library