[Clipart] Translations

Seb sebastien.lanteigne at gmail.com
Wed May 5 17:43:21 PDT 2010

Hi,
I was more interested in translation the interface but this is really
very cool indeed.

I deal in 3 different languages an a daily basis so I can tell you right
now there are a number of issues with this idea. :)

Going from English to one language is one thing. But since we will need
to cater for Speakers of different languages it will quickly become
complicated. The problems is not necessarily the search/translator you
are building but more the way it will interact with the current
implementation of OCAL.

But many issue come in play. For example how does it deal with words it
can't find? Slang etc? What does it do if a series of tag are not all
the same language? What about those languages not handle by google? And
how does it know which languages the tags are in?

I suppose it can silently drop every word it can't deal with and move
on. The problem is that smaller languages get automatically discarded.

I think each clip art should have a language attribute to specify the
language it's meant to be in, because of the text it contains or maybe
the idea it represent, etc.

That way the site automatically list all icons from the language the
user using first and then attempts to translate the rest. The script
checks the language attribute of the clipart and tries to translate into
the language that the user is currently using on OCAL. But for this to
work we would first need proper localisation.

Here's a nice example.

English
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/58183

Français