[Clipart] I hope you have backups.

J. Alves alvesjmp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 08:54:02 PST 2011

By the way, I was wondering about that these days. Maybe this has been
discussed before and I missed it, in which case I apologize for the
repetition... Just let me know and I return to under me bridge. :-)

I am thinking of trying to learn Aiki, php and all that to be able to
help with the code side of things. But I would never feel comfortable
touching the live site even after I'm fluent in those technologies,
let alone during the learning process, so I was hoping there was a
parallel code or site for this type of activity. You know, a sort of
private mirror of OpenClipart's code (not necessary to have the full
database, although that would be nice too) where people would develop
and tweak without worry that the main site was getting screwed up (as
its looks were when I looked 5 min ago, for example). Then, when we
were confident that the modifications are working and nothing is
getting damaged in the DB by our actions, then it would be time to
patch the old code with the new stuff. That's what I do with my little
web apps that are not important and don't have any traffic beyond two
or three labs and not 1,000s of visitors a day like OCAL. Is anything
like that in place for OCAL? I suspect not. The next best alternative
of having a working development branch of the site would be to give
people the full code for installing at their home server so they can
work on it there (is that available? I'd like that). Then they would
send the modifications either to the main site or to a (few) central
person(s) who'd integrate the code with the live site every once in a
while.

Imagine for example if I try to solve the tags problem or try to
implement the "idea mill" I registered in the blueprints (is that the
place for ideas of new features?) or whatever, and in the process ALL
tags for ALL cliparts get mangled to something unexpected and useless.
That would be a huge disaster and I'd have to hide from librarians for
the rest of my life. :-) OK, I suppose there are backups, but still a
pain in the proverbial.

Cheers