[Cogl] Cogl in Python

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 08:46:56 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-08 at 11:54 +0100, Robert Bragg wrote:
> If there is a strong interest in g-i based bindings specifically then
> certainly we'd be open to ideas and help figuring out if it would be
> workable, but at the moment I think perhaps Cogl breaks too many
> assumptions about gobject based apis that it's possibly not the right
> tool
> to try and use for us.

Thanks for the great reply. Explains a lot of what's going on.

I thought that gobject introspection was only for object based C code.
Basically anything that would convert to Vala in a sane way. If Cogl
isn't gobject based, then should it not be a simple matter of using the
previous none-introspective bindings for python? After all, pygobjct
can't be included while we're using gi because they clash, but for cogl
maybe that was never a problem? But maybe I'm not thinking of this the
right way.

I really have a few options for what i need to do here. Build a Cython
module (or one of the other c-py tools), hack either cogl or clutter
with a needed method to adjust opacity of textures and disable opacity
without it. Or learn the mountain and help you guys fix the bindings.

I'd start helping with bindings, but just using gdb on python causes
backtraces which are mysterious. Wouldn't know what tools to use or how
to really get hold of the project tasks.

Best Regards, Martin Owens