[colord] Welcome!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 02:11:56 PDT 2011

First, welcome to the colord mailing list!

Second, I wanted to do a quick review of where we're heading and what
we've done so far. At least from my point of view, development of
colord has slowed, which is expected and a good thing if we want to
start pushing this stuff in distros and actually supporting the DBus
API and binary libcolord ABI.

So far, we have debian packaging colord (which Ubuntu will just pick
up when ready) which currently is blocked on the shared-color-profiles
suggested dep. We're working on this.
Fedora has colord packaged in F15, and integrated with cups, foomatic,
g-s-d, and GTK in rawhide.
Other distros like Suse have packaged colord, but need to update to
newer versions of foomatic for everything to work.

As for future direction, I really want to push to having all the
subsystem devices (udev, sane, etc) as dlloadable modules, so that the
colord integration parts can be pushed upstream for those projects.
This would also allow other frameworks to drop in new support at
runtime, which might give the proprietary people another option.

Certainly, another thing that will improve is the sensor interface and
the sensor drivers. The Huey driver in git is mostly a proof of
concept, and now we've got some more liberal licence from the
Argyllcms project for the sensor code, we can use some of the actual
device constants rather than my back-of-the-envelope calculations. The
sensor interface is really required if we want to make the calibration
code in gnome-color-manager more user friendly without just popping up
a VTE dialog to interact with.

Other than that, I'm open for ideas. Certainly pushing all the new
code into Fedora 16 will be a big test, and hopefully we'll get some
good feedback from that.

Richard