[compiz] window decorations explained and how to move forward

Thomas Liebetraut thomas at tommie-lie.de
Sun Apr 2 00:14:10 PST 2006

Hi David,

Thanks for your explanation! The lack of good documentation of how
compiz works makes it hard to do things.

> What's Next
>
> I'd like to move the drawing code out of gnome-window-decorator.c and
> make it possible to plug in different drawing implementations.
MacSlow, QuinnStorm and myself thought about this just two days ago. My
idea is basically the same as yours and we all agreed it being a good
way to do theming of the window decorations.
We also decided that we should try to merge kde-window-decorator and
gnome-window-decorator if possible.

During the week nothing happened on CVS (we fancied you were on
vacation), I decided to look at the window decorator code (your
explanation saved me a lot of time, I think) and start working on
theming. If I understood Quinn correctly, she wanted to start with a
simple plugin interface based on the code that exists for compiz plugins
and mimic the current behaviour with a plugin. I'm not sure if she
really started doing this, she maybe has other things to do.

> Drop-Shadows
> [...]
>
> Thoughts?
If I remember correctly, MacSlow wanted to do a dropshadow plugin. I'm
not sure if he wants to use the composite manager, though (I'll point
him to this ML so he can say something about it).
If it turns out that MacSlow's implementation is too slow and that a
decoration-based shadow would be faster, we could maybe introduce a new
property to the window that applications with an arbitrary shape could
set. If the property is set, the decorator uses the composite manager to
draw the shadow, if it's not set, we use the fast shadows from the
decorator.

Regards
Thomas

--
This email is digitally signed and encoded in PGP/MIME format.
If you prefer encrypted correspondence or if you want to verify my