[compiz] On the way to theming g-w-d

Thomas Liebetraut thomas at tommie-lie.de
Mon Apr 17 02:33:01 PDT 2006

(This time to the mailing list, not just to David :-))

> Wrong, all things listed here can already be done with the existing
> decoration system.
Okay, but this would require to dynamically change the length of the
array of quads in the property and notify libdecoration about it. But
you're right, this one would be possible.

> It can do all of it, perfectly.
How is the shape of the decoration determined, then? I don't know and I
assumed (my apologies) a "fixed" rectangular shape (For me, the rounded
corners are just a visual effect. I can resize the window when clicking
outside if the rounded corner (but inside the rectangle defined by the
window's extents)).
And how would you implement a pattern on the decoration's border? The
easiest example would be one of these "lolipop" patterns with
alternating white and red lines on the vertical window borders. One of
these color changes would be enough, if it could be repeated. But how
can I repeat only a certain region from a texture? The texture would
also contain all the other decoration elements, including the bottom
corners. Is it possible to repeat only the part that belongs to the
vertical border but still have the bottom corners on the same texture?
(I hope this was not too confusing, my English is too bad to describe
graphical things :-))

> The existing decorations system can do everything you've mentioned.
> The only thing I though about adding is a more efficient way to
> specify repeating patterns but I wont do anything about that until we
> have a decoration that proves it necessary.
There is brushed metal from Aqua, if someone wants to have something
like this. I don't know how I could do other effects without using huge
textures, either. There was the wish for floating water in the
decoration somewhere. I know how I can do it with the current
single-texture method, but this would not be very efficient. As you said
in this mail:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2006-April/000067.html , it
is very important to use minimal textures. If there is a decoration (for
instance floating water or anything else that has an animated border and
not just an animated title bar) that wants to define each pixel of the
decoration independently, I don't see another way than using a texture
that has the size of the window itself. And creating such a texture for
every window on the screen could be very memory-expensive.
If you could tell me how you would solve this problem, I'll do what I
can to implement it in code.

Regards,
Thomas

--
This email is digitally signed and encoded in PGP/MIME format.
If you prefer encrypted correspondence or if you want to verify my