[compiz] developer documentation work

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Wed Jun 21 09:29:32 PDT 2006

Hi all!
I'm currently working with Compiz and as part of that I'm trying to create
more developer documentation, as I think that's important in inviting
both new explorers and bug patches to the project.

I've started an overview document to go in addition to any existing code
examples. It's currently available at
http://iki.fi/Tuukka/2006/summercode/wiki/CompizTechOverview

Any comments, corrections or additions are welcome either here or in the
wiki, as I don't have much experience with Compiz or technical writing for
that matter.

Another issue I've looked into is code commenting. I know people have
different feelings about it, but I'd try to explain something about the
code inline. For example, annotate major branches and loops.
You can see a start here:
http://tuukka.iki.fi/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi/compiz/?c=annotate&p=20060621105341-0f16d-055f335f43f5c6ec19f1e30e32725fb202d62925.gz

On one hand I'm interested in what kind of comments I could get accepted
into Compiz CVS, on the other hand we could make some external
code-walk-throughs from left-over comments.

Last but not least I'm going to document the whole compiz.h interface
somehow. I haven't started with that yet, and I'm interested in any
comments on what would be the best way to do that. Internal/external,
doxygen (JavaDoc/C# syntax) etc.? This is what doxygen can produce
from the compiz source currently, without additional markup:
http://tuukka.iki.fi/tmp/compiz-doc

Regards,
Tuukka Hastrup

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
                http://www.iki.fi/Tuukka.Hastrup/