[compiz] Feature request: Multi-head awareness in compiz and plugins

Martin Szulecki compiz at sukimashita.com
Thu Jun 29 15:06:38 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 09:25 -0400, David Reveman wrote:
> With composite extension present, xinerama isn't really useful, all we
> need is support for multiple screens and we can do anything we want with
> these screens in the compositing manager.
>
> Adding multi-screen support to Xglx is easy, I'll try to get it done
> this week. Making compiz multi-screen aware is some more work but I'll
> start working on this any day now.

Support within Xglx is the base of everything related to this. I am sure
you have a specific image of the best implementation structure in your
head and it would certainly help to have it done otherwise this part of
the Xgl/compiz combo is unable to make use of the community properly.

Don't worry about compiz, once Xglx is multi-head-aware the compiz (and
plugins) implementation will for sure catch up with a lot of patches
from the community.

> I wont accept any xinerama patches, if you like to use xinerama until
> proper multi-screen support is implemented, you have to patch things.
>
>-David

Totally understandable. However, the situation at the moment is that
nobody can work on a proper multi-head implementation/feature in compiz
aside of the straight-forward xinerama one due to no other existing
option afaik. So at least the noted Xglx additions would be cool.

Don't get me wrong, awesome work!

--- Martin Szulecki