[compiz] Set workarea per output (instead of screen)?

Mike Cook mcook at novell.com
Tue Nov 7 13:28:40 PST 2006

Hey, I'm thinking about the addition of the getWorkareaForOutput method,
and I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to define the workarea as part
of the CompOutput struct and set it up as part of (or replacing?) the
updateWorkareaForScreen call.  Either that or make the call to
getWorkareaForOutput redo the extents calculation on the windows within
only that output.  Which do you think makes more sense?

A key issue as I see it is that panels, etc., may only be on a given output and
not necessarily on the outer edges, so for a window to maximize correctly
within an output it needs to only honor the extents in that output.

In fact, is it possible that there should only be workareas as part of the
outputs and drop it entirely from screen?  I haven't dug through the code
in all the plugins to know if that just doesn't make sense.

...MC