[compiz] bug in today's git snapshot with maximizing windows

Mike Cook mcook at novell.com
Wed Nov 8 13:36:58 PST 2006

On Nov 08, 2006 at 1:20 PM, Shawn Starr wrote:
> When maximizing windows on a different resolution only 70% of the window
> is maximized.
>
> Ie: on my 1280x1024 screen a window maximized is correct (and does not
> clobber the desktop panel in KDE, kicker)
>
> On my 1600x1200 screen, with no kicker panel, the window is maximized
> about 70% of the screen only

I think that's the same issue I'm experiencing, though I'm pretty sure it's not
new to today's build but since the maximize changes from about a week ago.
In my case the problem is the panel and the fact that there's a single
workarea for the whole screen (see my "Set workarea per output" comment
from yesterday).  The panels are basically subtracted from the workarea so
that windows won't overlap, but it doesn't properly handle where those
panels are only on one of multiple monitors.

Per David's response to my comment, I'm willing to try hacking up a patch
for the workarea-per-output idea.  Then updates in window.c and maybe
the place plugin could use that and we'd get more proper placement and
window maximizing per output.  However, I've noticed some discussions on
the _NET_WORKAREA and multiple heads and it sounds like there needs to
be changes eventually to the spec to better handle these multiple output
cases.  But in the meantime, I think we can make it work mostly right.  ;)

...MC