[compiz] Aquamarine: The KDE Window Decorator

Dennis Kasprzyk onestone at beryl-project.org
Wed Nov 15 12:20:17 PST 2006

> Looks promising. I had a quick look at the code and I have some
> comments/questions...
>
> I can see that you're allocating pixmaps that are the same size or even
> a bit larger than the client windows. That adds some pretty nasty memory
> consumption, which we can't live with. Have you tried fixing that?
> Looking at the code, it seems that it shouldn't be very hard to fix.

This was the only way I found to redirect QT drawing to a normal X Pixmap. If
you have an better idea this would be nice.

> I noticed that the default decorations used before any window specific
> ones are created are broken. Shouldn't be hard to fix that though.

Maybe there is a difference between beryl and compiz, the default decorations
worked in beryl last time I tested.

> I can see that the code that changes opacity, brightness.. is updating
> the properties on windows directly. You shouldn't do that. You should
> send client messages to the WM instead.

This was for me the simplest way to do it. If you want to fix it, fell free
and send a patch to the beryl bugtracker.

> Other than these things it looks good. I would much rather support this
> than write my own kde-decorator.  I'll try to get the issues I've
> pointed out here fixed asap and I'll send you some patches.

I would be very happy to see any improvements. You can send it as patches to
the bugtracker, or you could ask quinn to get direct access to the beryl svn
repository.

> btw, I noticed that the copyright notice in each file says that it uses
> code of Emerald and KWin. I didn't see a lot of gtk-window-decorator
> code in the files I looked at but I know that emerald contains large
> chunks of gwd code without gwd's copyright info. If this is actually the
> case for aquamarine as well, please add the gwd copyright info.

Done. If you prefer a much detailed reference to gwd then send me your
proposal.

Dennis