[compiz] [ANNOUNCE] compiz-0.3.4

Fabien Chaillou fabs0028 at free.fr
Fri Nov 24 08:28:44 PST 2006

Hello,
As already said on other messages you are confusing two different
notions that are workspaces and viewports.
Compiz now supports both.
When you uses the gnome workspace applets, you are indeed changing
workspace ( as used in metacity for instance). In that cas all windows
are disappearing ( i guess they are unmapped but i am not sure, someone
more related to the code could tell you what is done) before going to
the new space. As david already said on this list he has not implémented
effects for transition yet.
On the other hand, when you use the keys defined in compiz for rotating
the cube you are changing the viewport ( Which i believe actually is a
single big desktop cut in four and so the window list is shared between
those).

I hope i have made myself clear, i'm not really sure i have.

On a related note, i think there are still some problems concerning the
mixing of workspaces and viewports  :
even if have tell compiz that i only want one workspace, at next login
i'll have two of them ( even if the key in compiz is set to 1), and i
have to set this key to 2 and then back to 1 to get back to only one
workspace.
Apart from that i just wanted to thanx david for all the great work that
he's done and still is doing :)

Fabien