[compiz] [ANNOUNCE] compiz-0.3.4

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Tue Nov 28 08:04:07 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 17:28 +0100, Fabien Chaillou wrote:
> Hello,
> As already said on other messages you are confusing two different
> notions that are workspaces and viewports.
> Compiz now supports both.
> When you uses the gnome workspace applets, you are indeed changing
> workspace ( as used in metacity for instance). In that cas all windows
> are disappearing ( i guess they are unmapped but i am not sure, someone
> more related to the code could tell you what is done) before going to
> the new space. As david already said on this list he has not implémented
> effects for transition yet.
> On the other hand, when you use the keys defined in compiz for rotating
> the cube you are changing the viewport ( Which i believe actually is a
> single big desktop cut in four and so the window list is shared between
> those).

Exactly. To have windows span more than one side of the cube, there must
be some relationship between the cube faces. Workspaces are completely
separated and a window can't exist in different locations on different
workspaces. A "large desktop" with viewports allows this. Hence, making
it possible to implemented the cube as it's seen today.

> I hope i have made myself clear, i'm not really sure i have.
>
> On a related note, i think there are still some problems concerning the
> mixing of workspaces and viewports  :
> even if have tell compiz that i only want one workspace, at next login
> i'll have two of them ( even if the key in compiz is set to 1), and i
> have to set this key to 2 and then back to 1 to get back to only one
> workspace.

This might be because metacity starts up before compiz and sets the
number of workspaces to 2 and compiz will then use that setting instead
of its stored setting. I'm not sure what's more correct, ignore previous
window manager setting or not.

Setting gconf key "/apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces" to 1 might
help.