[compiz] reason for bad performance on i915 (AIGLX)

Mirco Müller macslow at bangang.de
Thu Nov 30 07:22:45 PST 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 30.11.2006, 15:10 +0100 schrieb Matthias Hopf:
> On Nov 30, 06 11:20:50 +0100, gandalfn wrote:
> > 	In my ubuntu packages, to compiz work properly on AiGLX and for
> > performance issue i continue to apply two patchs of Kristian Høgsberg :
> >
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/compiz-on-aiglx/compiz-patches/06-glfinish.patch
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/compiz-on-aiglx/compiz-patches/02-tfp-server-extension.patch
>
> Hm. The second patch doesn't seem right, it doesn't help if only the
> server supports EXT_texture_from_pixmap. I wonder why this should help
> at all, because there won't be a function entry point (unless the used
> libGL is just broken and has the function, but not the extension
> string).

	The patch for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap I did myself already. It's
due to some bug (I was not able to find it in Mesa's bugzilla) in Mesa
(in libglx probably) I believe, where the tfp-extension is only reported
for server- and client-side GLX-sections (via glxinfo), but not in the
general GLX-section. I just commented out the test for this extension in
compiz and it works.

	Hm... I guess this bug in libglx still needs to be properly filed. Is
libglx part of Mesa or DRI/DRM? Gee... I've so much to catch up in terms
of OpenGL on pure OSS-drivers.

> I'd like to check out the first patch, because ATM compiz is really slow
> on Xgl on i915 as well. This used to be *much* better.

	The glFinish-patch helps a _lot_ on my i915... "ein Unterscheid wie Tag
und Nacht" :)

Thanks for the help sofar.

Best regards...

Mirco "MacSlow" Müller