[compiz] reason for bad performance on i915 (AIGLX)

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 09:59:25 PST 2006

Toby Smithe wrote:
> Hi. I also experience a Compiz slow-down on my i915. However, I can run
> most apps fine, and Beryl is very smooth. Compiz always used to be
> better for me, but I don't know what has happened.

This is strange, I see the exact opposite on my i810.
I had to launch with this command or it crashed.

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace \
--strict-binding --use-cow gconf

Maybe this will help, I am not sure.  My card is
very old though (dont have the exact model to hand
but the laptop is a P3 700Mhz).

This works and compiz is very smooth, beryl is very
jumpy on the same machine.  I am using the
0.3.4 ubuntu binaries so maybe something in git has
changed.