[compiz] reason for bad performance on i915 (AIGLX)

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 17:54:24 PST 2006

Mirco Müller wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 30.11.2006, 15:10 +0100 schrieb Matthias Hopf:
>
>> On Nov 30, 06 11:20:50 +0100, gandalfn wrote:
>>
>>> 	In my ubuntu packages, to compiz work properly on AiGLX and for
>>> performance issue i continue to apply two patchs of Kristian Høgsberg :
>>>
>>> http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/compiz-on-aiglx/compiz-patches/06-glfinish.patch
>>> http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/compiz-on-aiglx/compiz-patches/02-tfp-server-extension.patch
>>>
>> Hm. The second patch doesn't seem right, it doesn't help if only the
>> server supports EXT_texture_from_pixmap. I wonder why this should help
>> at all, because there won't be a function entry point (unless the used
>> libGL is just broken and has the function, but not the extension
>> string).
>>

> 	The patch for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap I did myself already. It's
> due to some bug (I was not able to find it in Mesa's bugzilla) in Mesa
> (in libglx probably) I believe, where the tfp-extension is only reported
> for server- and client-side GLX-sections (via glxinfo), but not in the
> general GLX-section. I just commented out the test for this extension in
> compiz and it works.
>
> 	Hm... I guess this bug in libglx still needs to be properly filed. Is
> libglx part of Mesa or DRI/DRM? Gee... I've so much to catch up in terms
> of OpenGL on pure OSS-drivers.

ah! so is it really a bug? I was wondering why that was. Also had a post
about that on the compiz forum:
http://forum.go-compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=92

it causes compiz to fail on my radeon and only by using indirect
rendering it works (actually I need to remove the DRI driver shared
object for it work properly with no artifacts) and indeed has
performance issues.

>> I'd like to check out the first patch, because ATM compiz is really slow
>> on Xgl on i915 as well. This used to be *much* better.
>>

> 	The glFinish-patch helps a _lot_ on my i915... "ein Unterscheid wie Tag
> und Nacht" :)
>
> Thanks for the help sofar.
>
> Best regards...
>
> Mirco "MacSlow" Müller

by the way, love your tutorials/examples on cairo and the rest :)

Ioannis