[compiz] Problem with shadows and the new NVIDIA drivers

Philip Langdale philipl at overt.org
Mon Oct 2 08:11:08 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I've been trying out the new NVIDIA drivers and everything seems to be working
great except that shadows are rendered incorrectly - as solid black (or what
ever the shadow colour happens to be) without the gradient effect. Setting
the opacity level of the shadows makes no difference.

This occurs with Beryl too, but I don't think it's actually a bug in either
program but something to do with how I built them. If it was a widespread
problem, I'm sure we'd have heard much more about it. I read one report
that someone had seen this a few weeks back when using Redhat's AIGLX with
an ATI card and had fixed it by compiling against a different version of
Mesa. I've tried using the nvidia headers, mesa 6.5.1 and the latest
mesa cvs - all with the same results. (And in all cases I've linked against
the nvidia libraries).

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

--phil