[compiz] Tried out Beryl (Animation pugin)

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Tue Oct 3 17:32:09 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 6:51 pm, Fabio Berta wrote:
> Hi
>
> Also I think their configuration system
> is a complete mess

And a registry editor is better?

> , this beryl settings manager is completly bloated in
> my opinion.

You really don't know programming to make that statement. ONE file makes it
bloated?  (it's all GTK+ GUI written in C, writing GTK widgets in pure C
without glade and stuff tends to make code bigger).

Look Fabio, beryl is a friendly fork, It's not meant to punish compiz. If you
noticed, I've been making beryl support gtk-window-manager as one of the
supported decorators. Debian will soon have beryl and it will support
gtk-window-decorator also (once I do some more cleanups to the packaging).
David is doing a great job. And, truth be told, forks foster competition but
it also creates new ideas that both compiz and beryl benefit from.

I would certainly like beryl's plugins to go into compiz of course as long as
the ABIs don't dirverge too much.

Shawn.