[compiz] cow by default?

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Oct 4 10:40:25 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 12:17 -0400, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On 10/4/06, David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 16:04 +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > --use-cow seems to be quite stable on all variations of tfp (xgl, aiglx,
> > > nvidia), I think it was the plan to default-enable it. Do you think it's
> > > ready for that? Want a patch?
> >
> > Yes, lets make it default.
>
> By the way, there's an issue with cow and the
> unredirect_fullscreen_windows.  The overlay window is by definition on
> top of all windows, so an unredirected fullscreen window will still be
> under the cow.  One solution to this is to reparent the fullscreen
> window to the cow while it's unredirected.  I don't have a patch, just
> wanted to mention the issue.

I didn't think of this, we should solve this before we can make it
default. Is there a way to disable the cow for a while? Maybe we can set
the shape of the cow. I think that would be easier to get right than
reparenting the fullscreen window to the cow as there's a lot of code
that depend on client windows being normal top-level windows.