[compiz] Strange behaviour in move plugin

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Thu Apr 5 10:50:43 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 18:55 +0200, Bellegarde Cedric wrote:
> One of the two last commit to move plugin make windows movements really
> strange and cpu usage really intensive...

Strange in what way?

One of the changes that was made is that the server side window position
is now updated after each motion event. This shouldn't really affect
performance by itself but the application, some pager or some other
application might be doing something performance sensitive each time the
position changes.

I know that both gwd and kwd are doing a bunch of unnecessary work each
time the position changes and I'll fix that sometime soon.

There might always be applications that are doing a lot of unnecessary
work each time the window position changes so having support for only
updating the server-side position when we're finished moving a window is
useful and I'll add that back to the move plugin later in a more
appropriate way. The old way it was done was bad.

- David