[compiz] Decoration manager questions

gasol gasol.swe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:05:44 PDT 2007

Im trying to write a Windowmaker look-a-like decorator to compiz, tho, im
not really sure im doing it the right way, The way im doing it right now is
telling libdecorator that i´m interested in becoming the "manager" of the
current screen. Then i select the StructureNotify events on the root window
and try to snoop out when a new window is created and mapped, and then
reparent it onto my parent window (frame) and then handle event that are
sent to the frame.

So i was wondering, is this the 'right' approach to the problem? I've been
reading some of the code too the GTK-decorator but i have never coded any
glib/gtk applications so its a bit hard too understand exactly whats going
on there.

To move and resize the window I can send a _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE atom to the
root window and compiz handles that for me (with a nice wobbly effect ^_^),
I was wondering can i do the same thing with minimize / shade / close
actions on a window or do my decorator have to handle that itself?