[compiz] Strange behaviour in move plugin

Erkin Bahceci erkinbah at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 09:09:16 PDT 2007

I am experiencing something similar (very high cpu usage while moving
windows). I have Wobbly off. When I have a few windows open (trying
with firefox windows) and I restart compiz, everything works fine
(fine being xgl cpu usage remaining under 25% while moving a 1300x800
window on a 1680x1050 screen). The problem starts when I open a new
(firefox) window (of the same size). While I move this new window, xgl
cpu usage goes up to 80%. The old windows again cause only 25% usage.
When I restart compiz again, xgl cpu usage while moving every window
is again 25%. But opening new windows causes the same problem again.
So something must be missing or being done wrong when opening new
windows, that is being done properly when initializing windows that
were already open before compiz started.

When I enable Wobbly, the problem gets even worse. When compiz is
restarted, xgl cpu usage is < 35% while moving windows. When I open a
new window, this time *every* window makes the cpu hit 100% while
moving it, rather than only the new window. Because of the high xgl
cpu usage, Wobbly makes windows make abrupt and big jumps, sometimes
even moving a little in the opposite direction, too.

The problem is always repeatable and is pretty annoying.

This is with a Mobility Radeon x300 on fglrx btw.

Regards,
Erkin